Services We Provide

  • Assistance connecting devices to the wireless and wired networks in the residence halls and university apartments
  • Wireless and Wired Network troubleshooting for the resident halls and university apartments
  • Repair broken Ethernet ports in residence halls and university apartments
  • Setup Apple AirPort wireless routers for University Village Apartments
  • Open ports to remove strict NAT types and allow full features for gaming platforms

Services provided by other campus IT departments

What is ACNS/Computer Diagnostic Center and what services do they provide?
    • ACNS/Computer Diagnostic Center is located in the Morgan Library on campus and can be contacted at 970-491-7276, option 3. 
    • They provide assistance connecting devices to the wireless networks on main campus, computer repair, virus removal, software installation, help with eID accounts and email along with a range of other things found here.  
My cable TV isn't working, who do I contact?
    •  Cable TV is provided in the individual rooms within university apartments and common spaces within the residence halls (Note: though coax connections might still exist in individual rooms of the residence halls, they are not active).  
    • If you are having trouble receiving cable, please call 970-491-1313. 
    • If your coax jack for cable is physically broken, please call Facilities at 970-491-7171, option 1.
Something is physically broken in my room, who do I contact?
    • If something is physically broken in your room or not working properly such as electricity, water, HVAC, or furniture, please call HDS Facilities at 970-491-7171, option 1.